The kids and I waited in vain for Katherine’s bus this morning. After fifteen minutes had passed, I finally checked the school website and found that, yes, they had indeed cancelled school. Not for snow (we have none) or other precipitation (it’s dry and clear), but for “extreme temperatures.” It was around 1 degree Farenheit when I woke up this morning, but, wow, the Iowa kid in me is incredulous. If we had cancelled school at those temperatures when I was growing up, my parents would not have been able to keep their jobs. I think we’re going to be glad Sydney and I have some scheduling flexibility this spring, since I’m guessing we’re going to have a few surprise days with Katherine before winter’s over.